Have a baby shower to go to?? These are simple and easy-peasy to make. A friend that I used to work with a long time ago showed me how to make diaper cakes! I’ve been on a roll making them over the last few years for centerpieces for baby showerparties.
Today I’m going to tell you how to make them step by step.
Things you will need:
- diapers (I usually buy one pack of newborns and one pack of size 1 diapers-this can make up to a 3 or 4 layer diaper cake)
- rubber bands (to hold rolled up diapers together)
- ribbon of your choice-you can customize the ribbon with either girl or boy colors or use polka dots and designs
- cake stand or large candle plate holder (I get mine from Michael’s….they are only a few bucks and are perfect to display the diaper cake) **For the owl diaper cake below I found these cashmere-like purple and pink stripe scarves at the Dollar Tree, they worked out great…I bought 3 of them and just wrapped them around the cake.**
- one medium sized stuffed animal or toy to top the cake with
- paci’s, burb cloths, teething rings, mini toys (rattle, etc), baby brush, mini travel sizes of baby lotion, hand sanitizer, shampoo, conditioner, etc. All to decorate the cake with.
- safety pins to hold ribbon together
First step is to roll up the diapers. I usually unwrap the diaper completely and start rolling at one end until I get to the other end. Then place a rubber band around the middle of the rolled up diaper.
Once all the diapers are rolled up I start standing the diapers up vertically, once I have 2 standing up I put a larger rubber band around them and then start adding more to it to make a base layer. You want this layer to have more diapers than the other layers-I usually try to make it a little smaller than the cake stand so you can still see the stand.
Now you have the first layer of diapers! You will repeat the steps above to make a 2nd, 3rd, and if you want a 4th layer of diapers for the cake. Next you want to cut your ribbon so that you can place it around the middle of each layer of cake. This will hide the rubber bands that are keeping the diaper cake together. I usually pin the ribbon with safety pins, but you could get some diaper pins (pink and blue) and use those for more decoration if you like. Once you have the ribbon on the cake you can start the fun part! Decorating! There is no right or wrong way to decorate. Top the cake with the medium stuffed animal or toy!
I think it’s adorable to have ribbon strands vertically on the sides of the diaper cake as well. You can refer to my pictures to see how I did that!
These are my own personal pictures. Feel free to Pin them or use them…all I ask in return is that you link the pictures to my blog.